Register
handmade.network»Forums»Career Advice»Learning Programming, For A Beginner, Without OOP
Andrew
1 posts
Learning Programming, For A Beginner, Without OOP
3 weeks, 1 day ago Edited by Andrew on Sept. 30, 2020, 7:46 a.m. Reason: Initial post
Hello,

I recently decided to become an independent game creator but do not know how to program.

As I've been researching programming, I've become interested in JAI and I've been listening to stuff from Casey Muratori about OOP. I'd like to know about resources for learning how to program *without* object-oriented logic.

Any help?
Simon Anciaux
899 posts
3 weeks, 1 day ago Edited by Simon Anciaux on Sept. 30, 2020, 11:19 a.m. Reason: typo
If you know nothing at all about programming, pick any programming tutorial you want and try to learn about the basics without worrying about the language. At this point the least friction to create small programs, the better it would be.

By the basics I mean:
- The program execute things in sequence in the order you've written them;
- Conditionals;
- Loops;
- Functions;

Those are the building blocks of programming (in my opinion) and every language have a version of them. Once you understand the basics even a little try to experiment as much as you can as it is the best way to learn and retain information in my opinion.

If you don't want to think about OOP, you can search for C (not C++) tutorials. The issue with that at first is the setup to be able to start programming. But you can watch the first handmade hero episode for that.

If you want a more "recent" language you can look at Odin but there might be less resources since it's more recent.

Once you feel comfortable with programming simple programs you can try to follow handmade hero. It will take a lot of time before you have a game.

Casey is working on a programming course, but it's not out yet and will not be free.
21 posts
3 weeks, 1 day ago
What I did was to learn some C programming (for that any tutorial will do, since that stuff is very simple), then I tried to follow handmade hero several times, the very first 25 episodes are quite difficilt, some may need multiple runs like myself.

Be sure you are on the write path though, handmade hero is the best resource for game programming I ever found online.
Mārtiņš Možeiko
2145 posts / 1 project
3 weeks ago
And if you want free book on C, you can take a look at Modern C. pdf is available for free, or you can buy printed edition.
68 posts

None

3 weeks ago
Take any tutorial and follow it step by step.
Don't copy paste code, type everything to build muscle memory.
At start compile your code a often as possible (every line is ok, it will make bug hunt easier)

The main thing you will struggle with is finding bugs and understanding why your code doesn't compile/execute properly.
There it _really_ helps to have someone around to ask. If you don't you can probably ask in the discord. The idea is that it's useful to stare at the screen for 10 minutes searching for a ";", a capital letter missing, a typo, or a weird beginner mistake, but it's not useful to waste 2h on each mistake of this type. (and experienced programmer see most of those instantly, so that's not much of a bother to be presented with this)

Once you did this, you can alternate with toying on your personal projects and more teaching materials (articles/book/tutorials/handmadehero/online course), each one will pave the path to the other : )

---

I don't know of any good and battle tested C tutorial for beginners in English at this date unfortunately.
If by chance you speak French I can guaranty this one is good (Part I and part II only, quality drops beyond acceptable after that) (probably don't bother with the videos coming with it also)

Here is the link :
https://openclassrooms.com/en/cou.../19980-apprenez-a-programmer-en-c

If you don't speak french I don't know if it's worth taking this path, but just in case the automatic translation seems okay :
https://translate.google.com/tran...F19980-apprenez-a-programmer-en-c

None