Handmade Network»Forums»Site Feedback
Laurie
37 posts
Feature Request: Resources Section
Hey. I was wondering if it might be possible to set up a resources section on the website, which would consist of any resources (articles, talks, courses, tutorials, books etc.) that the community think offer a useful perspective for someone trying to practise Handmade development?

I mention this for a couple of reasons. First, I think it might be nice to have a place to direct people to when they are trying to learn (aside from Handmade Hero of course!). Also, I notice that there are sometimes posts with people linking to interesting talks and articles, which spawn an interesting discussion, but as they are in normal forum posts, they slowly disappear off the front page and so are no longer really discoverable by new people joining the site.

What do you think? Depending on how far you wanted to go with it, it might be worth considering having systems in place such as a mechanism for suggesting new resources and having other community members rate them or something.

I know I would find it handy to have a directory of useful resources and materials to learn from. I think it would be especially useful for big conferences like CppCon or GDC, which have some real gems in there, but also some less useful material, and with hundreds upon hundreds of hours of talks out there, it can be difficult to find the best resources.

Anyhow just a thought. Let me know what you think.
Jeroen van Rijn
248 posts
A big ball of Wibbly-Wobbly, Timey-Wimey _stuff_
I'm afraid I have to agree with you :)

These are things we have on our todo list for post-v1 features to be implemented early next year.
We'll have to see how exactly we're going to structure all of this, but we will be making a big push wrt. educational and other resources all neatly gathered. Good to see it'll be appreciated.
117 posts
Code hacker/developer
Nice, if you guys need any help let me know, I'd love to contribute to that... Although I'm not 100% sure how to separate "handmade resources" versus others... I think it would have to be us sifting through the resources and pulling out whatever valuable info and then contributing that into a handmade project, aside from local resources like stuff from HandmadeCon, Casey, and members here of course.
Laurie
37 posts
Great to know that something like this is in the works! I've been very impressed with what you've done with the site so far, so I have every faith it will be worth the wait :).