Handmade Network»Forums»Wheel Reinvention Jam
Miles
131 posts / 4 projects
REGISTER HERE: Jam projects / teams!

Almost forgot this was happening. I'll be making a single-header library for fast image resizing on the CPU. Existing libraries I found were very slow or a huge pain to integrate, so I started writing my own. The basic algorithm is already done and is many times faster than stb_image_resize.h at indistinguishable quality, so for the jam I'll be doing the remaining 80% of the work to turn that basic algorithm into a versatile and emminently usable single-header library.

Santiago León
3 posts
Human with keen interest on developing useful tools for everyone.
Replying to leddoo (#25136)

How did your project turn out? I got here quite late so I wasn't able to contribute much, but I'm interested!.

I've been working on a non-linear note taking system for the past year, I'm very interested in listening other people's ideas. You mentioned building a team who are serious about this topic, I'm definitely in!.

19 posts / 1 project
Replying to santileortiz (#25240)

Hey!

Yeah, that was something :D

I hardly got to the non-linear features. The one I'm most interested in is an "infinite canvas" interface. Basically a way to arrange notes in 2D, like you would on a desk (without having to worry about the finiteness space). As an interface, I think it has a lot of potential, and I want to explore it for many other applications in the future.

I'm using this last day to throw together my idea of a canvas to show the idea. It's nothing new, really. Many apps do it already (eg: visual programming systems). But I think there's still lots to explore.

This evening, I'll post a final update here: https://handmade.network/forums/jam/t/8098-note_app. I'll continue to work on the project after the jam. If you're interested, I'll probably be posting over on the discord in the #project channels.

Regarding the "serious team", I think you misunderstood. That was about building a "new web", not a note taking system. Unsurprisingly, I haven't got that part at all. Though, it seems there is already some work in that area (Dan Wilhelm is giving a talk at handmade seattle titled "The Future of the Web is Low-Level"). I'm no longer too convinced that the time to build a team around that has come quite yet. I think what we need now are demos to explore directions that this thing could go. If I'm not too busy with other things, I'll throw together a prototype of my ideas after the note taking app. After all, that's the best way to explain.

Santiago León
3 posts
Human with keen interest on developing useful tools for everyone.
Replying to leddoo (#25246)

Ah! yes, I misunderstood what you were referring to about building a team. I agree this is a much bigger project but I like that there's people discussing this!.

Your project is looking very good. I'll be on the lookout for updates, I want to see where this goes.