We are currently in the process of converting the website to the new design. Some pages, like this one, are still broken. We appreciate your patience.
Handmade Network»Forums»Site Feedback
Simon Anciaux
1363 posts
Better display for long code block

When a blog post or forum post contains a long block of code (more than a screen worth e.g. the end of this post ) and needs a horizontal scrollbar, it's hard to read the code because the horizontal scrollbar if off-screen and it's not practical to use it. It sometime can also make it look like you read the whole line because the end of the code block view on x lines up with the end of a word, and since I'm not seeing the scrollbar I don't have an indication that there is possibly more text on the right.

While in an editor I like to use the keyboard to navigate, in the forums I prefer to only use the mouse.

I'm not sure what the solution should be, here are some ideas:

• having code areas that are the height of the browser view, so that scrollbars can both be on the screen (maybe with a button to line up the view properly);
  • line wrapping toggle;
  • allowing code blocks to be wider than the width of the forum (not really solving the issue, but can help in most case);
  • having a "zoom popup" feature that create a view of the code that fits the browser view (probably require to restore the scroll offset when closed and reopened, and isn't probably not a good user experience);
Asaf Gartner
64 posts / 3 projects
Handmade Network Staff

We can add max-height: 80vh or something to the code block.

Simon Anciaux
1363 posts
Replying to AsafG (#26638)

Ideally 100% would be best, but that would require to line up the view exactly, so a value where 100 - value is close to the amount of scroll offset you get with a single notch of the mouse wheel ?

20% of margin seems too much to me.