We are currently in the process of converting the website to the new design. Some pages, like this one, are still broken. We appreciate your patience.
Handmade Network»Forums»Site Feedback
Simon Anciaux
1363 posts
[REQUEST] Having full date in addition of x time ago

It would be useful to be able to display dates as dates in addition to the "x time ago" string.

513 posts

you can mouse over the timestamp to get the exact date

Ben Visness
113 posts / 9 projects
HMN lead.

Yep, wherever we put a timestamp on the site, whether absolute or relative to the current time, we use the HTML <time> element and put a title on it generated by your browser in your current locale. This ensures that you can always get a date that is formatted exactly the way you expect, in your timezone, etc.

Simon Anciaux
1363 posts

Thanks.

34 posts / 1 project
Edited by bumbread on
Replying to bvisness (#25010)

This ensures that you can always get a date that is formatted exactly the way you expect

I do not though, For some reason I get this different time format. My system's time format is set to YYYY-MM-DD.

image.png

I wonder what went wrong here though. I think the problem is that my locale is different from my time display settings.

Asaf Gartner
64 posts / 3 projects
Handmade Network Staff
Replying to bumbread (#25178)

Are you using firefox? If so, try this in the settings:

image.png

34 posts / 1 project
Replying to AsafG (#25181)

No, I'm using Google Chrome as my browser. I changed the UI display language to japanese and that changed the date format to YYYY/MM/DD. Still uses / for separating the values :(

Unfortunately the date format setting in chrome by default seems to be linked to the language.