We are currently in the process of converting the website to the new design. Some pages, like this one, are still broken. We appreciate your patience.
Handmade Network»Forums»Wheel Reinvention Jam
Miles
131 posts / 4 projects
REGISTER HERE: Jam projects / teams!

Almost forgot this was happening. I'll be making a single-header library for fast image resizing on the CPU. Existing libraries I found were very slow or a huge pain to integrate, so I started writing my own. The basic algorithm is already done and is many times faster than stb_image_resize.h at indistinguishable quality, so for the jam I'll be doing the remaining 80% of the work to turn that basic algorithm into a versatile and emminently usable single-header library.

Santiago León
3 posts
Human with keen interest on developing useful tools for everyone.
Replying to leddoo (#25136)

How did your project turn out? I got here quite late so I wasn't able to contribute much, but I'm interested!.

I've been working on a non-linear note taking system for the past year, I'm very interested in listening other people's ideas. You mentioned building a team who are serious about this topic, I'm definitely in!.

19 posts / 2 projects
Replying to santileortiz (#25240)

Hey!

Yeah, that was something :D

I hardly got to the non-linear features. The one I'm most interested in is an "infinite canvas" interface. Basically a way to arrange notes in 2D, like you would on a desk (without having to worry about the finiteness space). As an interface, I think it has a lot of potential, and I want to explore it for many other applications in the future.

I'm using this last day to throw together my idea of a canvas to show the idea. It's nothing new, really. Many apps do it already (eg: visual programming systems). But I think there's still lots to explore.

This evening, I'll post a final update here: https://handmade.network/forums/jam/t/8098-note_app. I'll continue to work on the project after the jam. If you're interested, I'll probably be posting over on the discord in the #project channels.

Regarding the "serious team", I think you misunderstood. That was about building a "new web", not a note taking system. Unsurprisingly, I haven't got that part at all. Though, it seems there is already some work in that area (Dan Wilhelm is giving a talk at handmade seattle titled "The Future of the Web is Low-Level"). I'm no longer too convinced that the time to build a team around that has come quite yet. I think what we need now are demos to explore directions that this thing could go. If I'm not too busy with other things, I'll throw together a prototype of my ideas after the note taking app. After all, that's the best way to explain.

Santiago León
3 posts
Human with keen interest on developing useful tools for everyone.
Replying to leddoo (#25246)

Ah! yes, I misunderstood what you were referring to about building a team. I agree this is a much bigger project but I like that there's people discussing this!.

Your project is looking very good. I'll be on the lookout for updates, I want to see where this goes.