We are currently in the process of converting the website to the new design. Some pages, like this one, are still broken. We appreciate your patience.
Handmade Network»Forums»Wheel Reinvention Jam
Joseph RIchards
4 posts / 1 project
Jam Submission - plotting tool

Well, this was a learning experience.

My plan for the jam was the make an interactive plotting tool to graph data from a simulation and be able to change the parameters of the simulation from the plotting tool and see directly the results in the newly produced graph.

In the end, I was able to render a "plot" of generic data to the screen, like so.

plotting.png

With a little more work, I can improve the API to make it relatively easy to use for instant plotting.

I'm a bit disappointed in the number of hours I put into the project. I found it hard to make myself learn the SDL APIs. But now that I have the basics down, I feel I can get the ball rolling on the project. I also learned that hot-reloading c++ code would be a great feature for the plotting tool.

Thx Handmade Network for the jam! This jam made me learn something that would have taken me much longer to learn if I didn't have the jam to light some fire under me. Thx again.

Simon Anciaux
1363 posts

I made a small similar tool in the past but it was specific to a problem I was trying to solve, and never made the step to get a "stand alone" tool. So I'm interested in this tool if you continue to work on it.

Joseph RIchards
4 posts / 1 project
Edited by Joseph RIchards on
Replying to mrmixer (#25288)

Thx for the interest. Will definitely help with my motivation for the project.

Also, I also connected the dots.

improved_plotting.png

Joseph RIchards
4 posts / 1 project

I do not doubt your humanness.

Ben Visness
113 posts / 9 projects
HMN lead.

The project looks nice! I'm glad you had a good experience and learned some stuff!