Learning OpenGL by Making A Game Engine

Some thoughts from a blog I started but have since sort of stopped working on. It talks about my discoveries having worked with multiple compilers (including helping to invent parts of the eC "enhanced C" language @ Ecere Corporation) .. and with respect to OpenGL, AI, graphics, geometry computations and working with everything from the mundane to the exciting. I've been programming since 1984 (Apple BASIC), with experience in C that started when I first learned it in 1992, after learning Turbo Pascal in 1991, including 10 years of developing in C++ since 2006 for both g++ (gpp) and Microsoft Visual Studio 2005, 2008, 2010, 2013, 2015.

It may seem insane to have 200 rules about how to name variables and such, but I practice these quite often and it has become second nature. We can learn a lot simply by using selection to weed out features that confuse us as programmers, or that adds to "code maintenance" requirements, or "implementation requirements". Sometimes we want a feature that requires a lot of syntax, and wrapping that up in a template or macro can help tremendously.

I just wanted to share this because I watch Handmade Hero, and have thought about contributing to Handmade some of the wisdom of the many projects on my github repos

Kind regards,

H. Elwood Gilliland III
Lost Astronaut Studios
@LAGameStudio