Handmade Network»Forums
3 posts
My vision is augmented.
HH on macOS, using either Parallels or BootCamp
Greetings everyone,

Please excuse my ignorance if this has been brought up before. I used search function, alas that didn't yield any desired results.

I am seriously considering buying a Macbook Pro this year. There are many reasons behind this, but it's not the point.
I am a beginner programmer. Well, not even that - I am just touching the basics. I do however have a good grasp of computers, so I can catch up rather easy, at least with things explained in the first batch of the HH episodes on YouTube.

I do have a Windows machine, but I plan on using MBP a lot, and I was thinking if following the series on Windows 10, using Desktop Parallels, would be the same as on a native Windows machine, this is asuming the low level stuff in the course curriculum, so to speak. I know there are limitations that come with VMs, hence my concerns that I might miss crucial (or even the tiniest!) parts.
Would it be any different were I to install W10 using BootCamp?

Please help out a fellow beginner, eager to learn.
Thank you in advance for your time and help.

Regards,
-- JC
Bill Strong
50 posts
I am on a MacBook Pro. The issue with Parallels is debugging your code. Visual Studio uses some instructions that aren't always virtualized correctly. VMWare Fusion has a setting to handle it correctly, but its not enabled by default due to it being slower than without that emulation. BootCamp is a better option in this instance.

Both Parallels and Fusion allow you to virtualize the Bootcamp partition, so it will give you the most options.
3 posts
My vision is augmented.
Hey there,

So, basically, it is actually possible to follow this course on a macOS machine without too much hassle. This is great news!

Thanks again and have a lovely day!