Handmade Network»Forums
33 posts
Clang-cl and Microsoft's link.exe
Thank you for the explanation. I'll report back once I get it working with the solution.
33 posts
Edited by Jesse on
Jesse
mmozeiko
Are you able to run clang-cl.exe successfully (including linker) from .bat file that calls VsDevCmd? Without calling 4coder.

Hmm, there seems to be progress here.

call "C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Visual Studio\2017\Community\Common7\Tools\VsDevCmd.bat" -arch=amd64 -host_arch=amd64 -no_logo
clang-cl.exe: warning: unknown argument ignored in clang-cl: '-PDB:jesse_15885.pdb' [-Wunknown-argument]
clang-cl.exe: error: no such file or directory: '/EXPORT:GameUpdate'

But I don't know how to address these errors, because I don't know what's causing them.

I've tested this further. These warnings do not seem to imply that clang-cl has found link.exe. They are just statements about the arguments. If I try to build a minimal C++ program from this command prompt, configured by VsDevCmd.bat, Clang-cl still cannot find link.exe.

I am making the assumption that Clang-cl is looking for link.exe. It may not. It may have found it but its output still isn't quite compatible with it. I would have liked more pointed error messages about what it's failing to do, which is ironic when Clang is known for quality error messaging.
33 posts
Edited by Jesse on
I've spoken to someone with experience on this exact issue, and Clang has a patch under review that may address it. For those wondering, current Clang builds have issues finding VS2017 files. It was fairly hard-coded where it looked for stuff.