Handmade Network»Forums
Timothy Wright
76 posts / 1 project
Handmade Audio Options
Hey Handmade community,

Feverishly working on my Kiss engine project, I have everything for a 2D game except audio. Are there any good stb libraries for this kind of thing? It's been my experience that audio is the one place where you just have to use a 3rd party, like FMOD or WWise or something.

Having only heard horror stories about OpenAL-Soft, and some complaints about it from Ron Gillbert on Thimbleweed Park, I'm not sure that's the way to go, even though that seems to be what everyone uses these days.

what do you guys recommend?
Timothy Wright
76 posts / 1 project
Handmade Audio Options
Right now the code is only for Mac/Windows/Linux, so I'm not worried about other devices. I have watched the Handmade Hero videos for audio, but I really don't want to write all the audio myself if I can help it. Too much other stuff to do, and I know you can get lost in something like that.

I'm currently look at http://libsound.io/

I seems like a good wrapper for the backend stuff, and probably the kind of thing the HMD community would write. I just hoped there was some resource that I had missed.
19 posts
Handmade Audio Options
I've used libsoundio. It was really easy to use, had decent examples/documentation. I did experience one or two issues with it, but tracking down the source of the problem was pretty easy given how simple libsoundio is internally.
Timothy Wright
76 posts / 1 project
Handmade Audio Options
Edited by Timothy Wright on
D3zmodos
I've used libsoundio. It was really easy to use, had decent examples/documentation. I did experience one or two issues with it, but tracking down the source of the problem was pretty easy given how simple libsoundio is internally.

I know that using something like this can have some issues, esspecially since it only has a few people working on it, but I really want small, clean, C code for everything. The C++ engine looks good but I'm trying to stay true to the stb/Handmade Hero ideas.

It's good to know that you've used it and it worked.