We are currently in the process of converting the website to the new design. Some pages, like this one, are still broken. We appreciate your patience.
Handmade Network»Forums
Oliver Marsh
195 posts / 1 project
Olster1.github.io
Project Ideas
Edited by Oliver Marsh on
Hi,

I was wanting to get more practice programming low level stuff, however I'm not sure of what kind of project to make. I was wanting to get people's thoughts on programs that would be helpful or would like to use. Like a wish list of apps, both small and big projects.
Thanks everyone :)
2 posts
Just a kiddo with an interest in computers and programming. Also, after lurking since the beginning of HMH, I've finally emerged :)
Project Ideas
I don't know what projects you have already worked on. But I think a great experience for low level programming is working on creating small emulator/interpreters. You could start out with something really small like a Chip8 emulator or something of that sort. And you can keep progressing up into more complex emulators/interpreters.

I don't think they are really *needed* but still a great learning experience.
Oliver Marsh
195 posts / 1 project
Olster1.github.io
Project Ideas
Thanks Tonnah for the reply, I will look into emulators. I found a good article about the chip8 emulator. For now I think I am going to try optimize a very simple 3D software renderer. I made it while ago but wasn't very fast. I am thinking similar to Casey's optimizations (SIMD and multithreads) and will try look at more optimisations in 3D like back-face culling and running the shader only on the top most pixel in the depth buffer.

Ollie