Handmade Network»Forums
Oliver Marsh
193 posts / 1 project
Olster1.github.io
Project Ideas
Edited by Oliver Marsh on
Hi,

I was wanting to get more practice programming low level stuff, however I'm not sure of what kind of project to make. I was wanting to get people's thoughts on programs that would be helpful or would like to use. Like a wish list of apps, both small and big projects.
Thanks everyone :)
2 posts
Just a kiddo with an interest in computers and programming. Also, after lurking since the beginning of HMH, I've finally emerged :)
Project Ideas
I don't know what projects you have already worked on. But I think a great experience for low level programming is working on creating small emulator/interpreters. You could start out with something really small like a Chip8 emulator or something of that sort. And you can keep progressing up into more complex emulators/interpreters.

I don't think they are really *needed* but still a great learning experience.
Oliver Marsh
193 posts / 1 project
Olster1.github.io
Project Ideas
Thanks Tonnah for the reply, I will look into emulators. I found a good article about the chip8 emulator. For now I think I am going to try optimize a very simple 3D software renderer. I made it while ago but wasn't very fast. I am thinking similar to Casey's optimizations (SIMD and multithreads) and will try look at more optimisations in 3D like back-face culling and running the shader only on the top most pixel in the depth buffer.

Ollie