Handmade Network»Forums
13 posts
niagara: Vulkan renderer from scratch (live programming stream)
Edited by void on Reason: Initial post
Hello everyone,
I thought this project would interest the handmade network community. Arseny Kapoulkine (@zeuxcg on twitter) is streaming writing a Vulkan renderer from scratch.

Two episodes in and a triangle so far as of this writing, but some pretty cool stuff on the roadmap:

"The goal is to experiment with a few modern Vulkan rendering techniques, such as GPU culling & scene submission, cone culling, automatic occlusion culling, task/mesh shading, and whatever else it is that we will want to experiment with. The code will be written exclusively on stream."

* github: https://github.com/zeux/niagara
* youtube playlist: https://www.youtube.com/playlist?...L0JVLUVCkk-l7CWCn3-cdftR0oajugYvd

Neo Ar
165 posts / 1 project
riscy.tv host
He followed the official spec to write the equivalent of a hello world (triangle) for vulkan and ran into a bug in the validation layer, intel driver, and visual studio saving files by default as utf-16.

So clearly no one working on the vulkan validation layer or intel driver took the time to even try running a hello world on their software with one of the most common platform configurations (Windows 10, integrated graphics). Meanwhile, the Visual Studio team lacks even a single competent programmer.

RIP faith in humanity
13 posts
Yeah I was debating whether or not I should have mentioned that. Visual studio team has acknowledged they will fix that bug for next release at least. And the others have been reported also.

But needless to say, Arseny has done a bunch with Vulkan before so not like this is his first rodeo here by a long shot. Just some bad luck (or good luck for the community at large in the long term, depending on how you see it.)
Neo Ar
165 posts / 1 project
riscy.tv host
Oh yeah I should maybe clarify that I meant the "RIP faith in humanity" towards the vulkan validation layer devs, intel driver devs, and visual studio team. Nothing but respect towards Arseny and I greatly enjoyed his streams, they were well worth the watch (and I look forward to more)!