Handmade Network»Forums
Tom
25 posts
None
Sharing my renderer project
Edited by Tom on Reason: Initial post
Hello everyone, I wanted to share with you my OpenGL rendering demo. It was written by myself, in a mostly C-style of C++, and can run in a web browser thanks to Emscripten. It's main dependencies are SQLite for managing/serializing custom entities (a bit overkill, but i'm comfortable with SQL), SDL for the web platform layer, and a few libraries from the expanded stblibs list.

I've also put together a break down of one frame of the renderer here.

As a note, any kind of use on a mobile device is untested, but on a decently new laptop or desktop it should run.
Let me know what you think, and if you have any questions!
(also let me know if there's a better place to post this kind of thing, it's been a while since i've posted here)
Simon Anciaux
1337 posts
Do you have a .exe instead of the browser version (it seem a bit slow on my machine)?

Tom
25 posts
None
Yeah, the web version is a little rougher than a plain exe, any pointers anyone has for profiling a program running in a browser would be appreciated.

Here's a link to an exe download, though I realize now, I got so used to exit with Alt-F4 that it's the only way to close the app.
Simon Anciaux
1337 posts
The exe crashes on my machine.

Here is some feedback from the web version. Keep in mind that I'm not a graphics expert and that I've never implemented anything that you did.

I don't know if it's due to the web version, but the rendering resolution seems really low. That might be a result of all the effects on the image.

There is a lot of aliasing, the shadow resolution seems far too low and there is quite a lot of surface (shadow) acne. The depth of field / tilt-shift effect is too strong or the transition is too fast, and several time in the demo things I'd like to see are out of focus (the top of towers for example). The tone mapping in my opinion washes the colors too much, there is no enough contrast in the final render.

One think I would like with that kind of demo is to be able to enable/disable/configure the different effects.

Thanks for sharing.
Tom
25 posts
None
Thanks for putting in so much time and effort looking at this, and for posting the console & error.
23 posts
Edited by LaresYamoir on
This is a really cool demo. I only played around a little bit with webgl/emscripten myself, maybe I should give it another go. However I also encountered the same graphical problems with the web demo (didn't try the exe). Would be great if you could fix those.
Tom
25 posts
None
Hey! It's been a hot minute. I've been chipping away at this project since the last time I posted (and after taking a break for a month or two). I improved some of the performance issues mentioned before and i've written about the changes here. The link to the project is still the same but i'll re-post it here for ease of use. I'd love to hear what you all think!
Simon Anciaux
1337 posts
It runs and looks better for me (from what I remember).

The depth of field still looks off to me. It seems like every thing that is near the transition between in focus and out of focus has several "ghosts" with a different blur factor. Maybe it's the effect you're looking for but it doesn't appeal to me.