We are currently in the process of converting the website to the new design. Some pages, like this one, are still broken. We appreciate your patience.
Handmade Network»Forums
Blake Martin
33 posts
Starting a Programming Blog
Edited by Blake Martin on Reason: Initial post
Hi guys, I have been wanting to start a programming blog similar to Casey's, but I don't do a lot of web development, so I'm not sure what tech stack/hosting to use.

I have considered GitHub Pages, WordPress and friends, Host Gator + templates, Mongoose, and a few other things, but I'm not sold.

I just want a simple, handmade workflow where I can just write my blog entries in some sort of markup with good support for code snippets and basic highlighting. Comments would be great, but aren't required. A static blog like Casey's would be fine.

Any recommendations?
70 posts
Professional programmer, working in the video games industry since 2012
Edited by Guntha on Reason: Additional info
Hello Blake,

For my own website, I've had a good experience with Hugo: it's a static site generator, lots of of themes are available, including ones that have code highlighting, and of course you can create your own. When you want to create a new blog post, all you have to do is basically create a new text file, write your new post in it and re-generate the whole website.

Actually, I think it's too big and has too much features for a simple blog site, which you can create all by hand without a lot of extra work (especially if you're fluent with web design), but it can get you started quickly.

Hugo is only a static website generator, it doesn't take care of hosting, but since it generates only a bunch of html files, you don't need a fancy server to host it. Some themes include Disqus to support comments.
Jeremiah Goerdt
208 posts / 1 project
Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life.
If you want extremely simple, handmade, and easily hackable, you could try bashblog. I used it for a bit and like it.
Blake Martin
33 posts
This is a little... too barebones, lol. I'm checking out Hugo + GitHub Pages as we speak.