Handmade Network»Forums
Oliver Marsh
193 posts / 1 project
Olster1.github.io
Advice for working with unity or not?
Edited by Oliver Marsh on
Hi all,

I've recently partnered up with an artist to make a game. He is the main designer & artist & we plan to pitch to some investors.

My question is this: We decided to use Unity, since it is the standard in Adelaide, and to be more professional (port to different platforms, asset compression taken care of etc). So I've been working on the project for a few weeks. However it's not super enjoyable, and don't feel super motivated as I felt with other projects using my own engine. One thing is my computer's not a gaming laptop, so it feels slow to work with unity, and it feels not super in my control (if that makes sense).

My dilema is that he hopes to get more programmers later on, and in the long run unity would probably be more a favourable decision. If I pitch my using my engine, I'm not sure if it is professional enough (planning to make it onto consoles) & whether my preference isn't actually good for the long term vision of the game.

Any thoughts would be great?

Simon Anciaux
1341 posts
I think worrying about different platforms at this stage of the development is counter productive. During the early prototyping phase you should just use what you want that let you and the other members of the team work. Depending on whether or not other persons need to interact with the engine or not will most likely direct your choice.

If the artists need to add things in the engine themselves than using Unity might make more sense unless you can spend a time developing tools for them to use. But even if they just give you assets and you add them to the project yourself, Unity can make that easier for you. My point is that you should make a prototype in any tool that is good enough for the team, and then decide if you used the right tool and change it if needed.

After the prototype you can choose a target platform, but I'd suggest to only choose one, and once that version has been published and is working fine, you can worry about other platforms.

And maybe you need to invest in a desktop PC.
Oliver Marsh
193 posts / 1 project
Olster1.github.io
Thanks for the reply Simon, yes investing in a better computer is top priority for me. Since the message, I decided to stick with unity and use it as an opportunity to learn a new technology, and more about the their api, and how they do things. Also set up a better workflow which is making it enjoyable.