We are currently in the process of converting the website to the new design. Some pages, like this one, are still broken. We appreciate your patience.
Handmade Network»Forums
Jason
235 posts
Question on Casey's memory allocation implementation
Edited by Jason on Reason: Initial post
As far as I understand, Casey originally had his memory allocation setup so that he could just separate the allocated memory block into separate 'memory arenas'. So you could have a memory arena allocated for all world objects you'll create, an arena for all assets, an arena for a render buffer, etc. But later on he added the possibility of a 'sub-arena' to sub allocate an arena even further. I was wondering what the purpose of the sub-arena's were and if they are really necessary? I ask this because I was thinking of creating a memory scheme based off his but I figured it would look something like:

i32 generalHeap_id = CreateParitionFromMemoryBlock(gameMemoryBlock, Megabytes(100), DYNAMIC); 
i32 assets_id = CreateParitionFromMemoryBlock(gameMemoryBlock, Megabytes(200), FRAME); 
i32 renderBuffer_id = CreateParitionFromMemoryBlock(gameMemoryBlock, Megabytes(10), LINEAR); 

i32* thing = Alloc(gernalHeap_id, i32, 1);
Render_Command* command = Alloc(renderBuffer_id, Render_Command_Type, 1);

Basically I would be partitioning off memory arena's and specifying what type of allocation scheme I want to run on each of them when allocating memory. I thought this would handle most situations but I'm wondering what I might be missing and if I need to add in the possibility to sub-allocate an arena even further?
Simon Anciaux
1363 posts
SubArena is just a simple way to reserve a block of memory. It's equivalent to your CreatePartitionFromMemoryBlock function (you wrote parition instead of partition, unless parition means something).
Jason
235 posts
Haha, na, I just misspelled partition. Okay, so it's really not much different from what I'm already doing. Thanks!