Handmade Network»Forums
Jason
235 posts
Better understanding Casey's stack based memory allocation system
Edited by Jason on Reason: Initial post
In many of the videos Casey repeatedly touches on his stack based memory allocation system. From what I can comprehend I can appreciate the usefulness of architecting things based on stacks given their nature of more automatic memory management. I feel like, after jumping around between alot of videos, I'm starting to understand bits and pieces of how he has setup this memory allocation scheme, though I think there are still some gaps in my knowledge. Coming from C++, this is a completely new way of thinking about things so I'm still trying to master these ideas. I'm wondering if someone can help give me a clearer overall picture of how exactly this scheme is setup to handle most of the games memory needs. From what I have gathered so far it seems like the basic idea is you use some type of transient memory arena (which typically only lasts for one frame) to hold temporary memory used to perform alot of game calculations/simulations. Within a frame the memory used will grow and shrink based on what calculations you need to perform and after you get a desired result you store that result into a struct being held on permanent memory space. So something like this:

Game_State* gState = (Game_State*)gameMemory->PermanentStorage;
    transient_state *tranState = (transient_state *)Memory->TransientStorage;

{//Movement calculations
        temporary_memory moveMem = BeginTemporaryMemory(transState);
        SomeStruct* thing = Malloc(moveMem, someStruct);
        //Do calculations

gState->player->position = resultOfCalculations;
        EndTemporaryMemory(moveMem);
    }

{//Animation calculations
        temporary_memory animMem = BeginTemporaryMemory(transState);
        Animation* animation = Malloc(animMem, Animation);
        //Find new bone positions from animation calculations

gState->player->skeleton = resultingBonePositionsOfSkeleton;
        EndTemporaryMemory(animMem);
    }

CheckTransMem(transState); //Make sure transient memory is all cleared

Do I have the right idea? If so, what do you do when you need memory that persists across local temp memory boundaries? Do you allocate a larger memory block outside of all scopes and then just suballocate from that block within the smaller scopes?
Simon Anciaux
1337 posts
Edited by Simon Anciaux on Reason: typo, removed reference to transient/permanent storage
You got the idea right.

I like to think about memory in term of "lifetime" and "system" (as in a group of functions in your code that perform a task).

You can have different memory arenas for different lifetimes of your data. You could have an arena that last one frame, one that last the duration of a level, or the duration of an animation… Those different arenas can come from another larger arena, but it's not required.

You can also have a different memory allocator for different systems. For example if you often allocate small objects with a random lifetime, you may want to use a pool allocator instead of a stack allocator.
Jason
235 posts
Okay, so I'm trying to visualize what things would be like with different allocators. Would these allocators theoretically be tied to a specific arena? So in my previous example I guess I was assuming the transient storage was working as a stack so any alloc calls onto the transient arena would be stack based:

{//Animation calculations
        temporary_memory animMem = BeginTemporaryMemory(transState);
        Animation* animation = alloc(animMem, Animation); //alloc just pushes memory on stack
        //Perform other alloc's and dealloc's, pushing and popping in a stack like way

EndTemporaryMemory(animMem); //Acts as a free_all function and just frees all memory
    }

but if I wanted say my level arena to allocate in a more dynamic way with a pool allocator then any alloc or dealloc calls would use that by default:

{//Level calculations
        temporary_memory levelMem = BeginTemporaryMemory(levelState);
        Animation* animation = alloc(levelMem, Animation); //alloc here uses pool allocator behind the scenes
        //Will alloc and delloc within here as necessary

EndTemporaryMemory(levelMem); //Still frees all memory here
    }

If so, would the advantage here be that my more dynamic allocation stuff is still limited in scope and all memory is still flushed at the end of a level? Meaning the main goal of trying to manage memory is to limit the need for manually deleting memory as much as you can. So even within levels I might try to find places where I can use the transient arena to keep memory management more stack based?
Simon Anciaux
1337 posts
boagz57
Meaning the main goal of trying to manage memory is to limit the need for manually deleting memory as much as you can.

I wouldn't try to generalize it. Each case has separate constraints and it's a matter of advantages / disadvantages.

A 1 frame stack allocator is nice because you don't really worry about freeing memory, but you can't persist data stored into it across frames, or free memory in the middle of the stack.

A pool allocator is usefull when you allocate objects of the same size that don't have a know lifetime. But it's a bit slower to get or free memory from it.

To summarize, you need to figure out the memory usage for different parts of your code and choose how to manage it accordingly. If you want the security that memory doesn't persist between levels, than design your allocator for that. You can have the memory block used from a pool allocator come from a "level lifetime" arena so it's cleared when you "free" the level memory block.

int main( void ) {

arena_t frame_arena = ...;
    arena_t level_arena = ...;
    pool_t level_pool;

while ( ... ) {

reset( &frame_arena );

if ( load_level ) {
            reset( &level_arena );
            pool_init( &level_arena );
        }

pool_alloc( &level_pool, ... );
        pool_free( &level_pool, ... );