Handmade Network»Forums»Work-in-Progress
Nikita Smith
45 posts / 1 project
None
Debugger Feature Demo
Hi everyone! I'm developing a debugger, and I just wanted to share a demo of a feature
that I've been cooking for couple days. Here is the link https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2a4BnDqCWS4
Simon Anciaux
1337 posts
Debugger Feature Demo
Interesting !
If there is anything I can do to help you, I would be glad to do so.
43 posts / 1 project
Debugger Feature Demo
How long til we can use this ? Also is there anything i can help out with on this ?
Casey Muratori
801 posts / 1 project
Casey Muratori is a programmer at Molly Rocket on the game 1935 and is the host of the educational programming series Handmade Hero.
Debugger Feature Demo
Looking really sweet!

- Casey
Andrew Chronister
194 posts / 1 project
Developer, administrator, and style wrangler
Debugger Feature Demo
Pretty sweet! Kind of amazing visual studio hasn't done this after 20 years...

(BTW, pardon my pettifogging, but I think "Identefier" -- 0:11 in the video -- might be a typo?)
Nikita Smith
45 posts / 1 project
None
Debugger Feature Demo
Right now it's not usable, stepping sometimes fails if debugger tries to step inside a CRT functions like sprintf, it doesn't work properly with multi-threaded code, and expression evaluation system has lots of bugs. However after I finish writing instruction decoder, I'll start to tackle those bugs.

At this point debugger has a sloppy architecture, and I think that adding more people will only make it worse. But anyway thanks.

Nikita Smith
45 posts / 1 project
None
Debugger Feature Demo
You are totally right, that is a typo. For some reason I didn't notice that for really long time.
Connor
52 posts
It's been so long ;)
Debugger Feature Demo
First, looks great already.
Second, how long have you been working on this debugger?

- Connor
Nikita Smith
45 posts / 1 project
None
Debugger Feature Demo
I think since April or May.
Mike T
27 posts
Debugger Feature Demo
That's really cool! I am also working on a debugger (for Linux), and it's nice to see a real working design for this. I had some thoughts along the same lines but I'm quite far from implementing anything like that yet.