Hello folks! I am not sure if this is the right place to do this thing but here it goes.
Some time ago my debugger was here on the project list, but unfortunately I had to focus on other
things and project went under the water. Last October I finally got a chance to revive it and since
then I have managed to get debugger into a good shape. A lot of time was spent on making sure that current
set of features worked with all of the edge cases, like stepping though the exceptions, making sure that PDB parser
is compatible with recent versions of the MSVC C/C++ compilers, and so on. Also I have manged to
replace the DIA(Debug Interface Access) SDK that was used to read PDB files.
I knew from the start of the project that eventually I will have to replace that SDK, because
that is a huge black-box that was dragging the project down. I kid you not, but it took me same
amount of time to write my own parser as it took me to integrate that SDK. Microsoft never stops
to amaze! Next on the list was to replace the StackWalk64 from the dbghelp.dll which is 1mb in size,
and that is a lot code to keep around just for one call. To my surprise it is very easy to write a stack
unwinder for win64.
Last couple days I have spent on making sure that debugger works not only on my machine.
I have tested on three different setups and couple virtual boxes and it worked fine.
This means that any obvious mistakes were eliminated and it can be shared with others.
You can leave your feedback here in comments or just email me [email protected]
You can find a little demo that I have put together here on yotuube
and link to download
the standalone executable. Thank you.