Handmade Network»Forums»Site Feedback
Casey Muratori
801 posts / 1 project
Casey Muratori is a programmer at Molly Rocket on the game 1935 and is the host of the educational programming series Handmade Hero.
Old landing page was better?
Edited by Abner Coimbre on Reason: Mod added "Feature Request" to title.
The original way the home feed worked was really usable - you could just go there, and at the top was any new post you hadn't read. You just keep reading down until you get to a post you already read :)

Now, it's always posts you've already read, because it seems like it puts "new" blog posts at the top, and those are very infrequent? So you have to scroll down until you get to the actual forum posts, if there's room for them, etc.

So perhaps eventually there could be two different pages - the old-style feed, which is just chronological order period, and the new-style feed that prefers blogs, for people who want that? Assuming people want that?

- Casey
Abner Coimbre
320 posts
Founder
Edited by Abner Coimbre on Reason: Wording
cmuratori
Now, it's always posts you've already read, because it seems like it puts "new" blog posts at the top, and those are very infrequent?

This came from the conversation we had on Twitter about whether the main feed excerpts blog posts or not (and it did but they were conflated as forum posts). I said there's value in prioritizing blog posts when they come out so the forum posts don't drown them.

An elegant solution could be to just select between "recent forum posts" and "recent blogs", defaulting to forum posts so it's like the old landing page but with blogs as their own thing.
Casey Muratori
801 posts / 1 project
Casey Muratori is a programmer at Molly Rocket on the game 1935 and is the host of the educational programming series Handmade Hero.
Yeah, two pages would be best I think - especially because I suspect that you'll eventually want the landing page to be your curated news page, not a feed anyway (eg., the latest handmade.network team post, highlighted project, highlighted post, whatever) that is updated daily at most, rather than a minute-to-minute feed...

- Casey