Handmade Network»Forums
Ian
4 posts
My remake of an older game
Edited by Ian on
Hey,

these past few weeks I've been developing a game as a challenge to myself, to try and finish development on the stuff I make. The game is a remake of an older game that I played on a friend's computer, and I deliberately decided not to look up exactly how the game works, but instead go from my memory. The game isn't very complicated, so there's not much to get wrong.

There's no real end to projects like this. There's always something to add, and something to polish. I have decided to stop with the project because I have no enthusiasm for it anymore, and I have been developing slowly for a few days after losing that enthusiasm.

Work is not done now that I release it. I hope that few of you take the time to try it out, so that I can experience and learn the complications of making software work on several different computers and setups. If you do try the game, then first I'd like to thank you, but also I'd appreciate if you made a comment about your distro and if it worked or not.

Description. A building is on fire and the denizens are throwing their babies out of the windows for you to save. Use your trampoline to get them across to safety.

Dependencies. The only system dependencies are SDL2 and OpenAL.

A note about FOSS. I intend to bundle the entire source code into the tar ball once I'm done with this project. It's C code.

The Windows binaries were only tested with Wine.

This has only been compiled for 64 bit

Link to downloads Zip Download | Bzip2 Download

EDIT 05/01/2017: Made a note about 64 bit
EDIT 10/01/2017: Changed download links to https protocol
Simon Anciaux
1337 posts
There are no windows binaries in the file.
Mārtiņš Možeiko
2559 posts / 2 projects
Also .bz2 format is super unfriendly for Windows users. .zip is more friendlier - it can be open without installing extra software.
Ian
4 posts
Thanks for taking the time to try it! And sorry for wasting your time by messing up the hosting.
The technical details are that I have a /var/www/htdocs and a /var/www/html, and I don't know what I am doing.

I've fixed it and used zip this time.

itjac.me/itj_games.zip
Simon Anciaux
1337 posts
It works fine for me on Windows 7 64bits.
Ian
4 posts
mrmixer
It works fine for me on Windows 7 64bits.

Again thanks for taking the time to try it!
It's very cool that testing something in Wine was enough to make it work, although unprofessional.

I never mentioned that I only did build for 64 bit
34 posts
I am fully functional, programmed in multiple techniques.
Ian
The game is a remake of an older game that I played on a friend's computer, and I deliberately decided not to look up exactly how the game works, but instead go from my memory. The game isn't very complicated, so there's not much to get wrong.
[...]
I'd appreciate if you made a comment about your distro and if it worked or not.

I played this game a lot when I was little. https://archive.org/details/msdos_Bouncing_Babies_1984

Gentoo GNU+Linux 4.8.2-gentoo #10 SMP PREEMPT Thu Dec 29 20:12:38 NZDT 2016 x86_64
Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-4750HQ CPU @ 2.00GHz GenuineIntel

% ./executable
./executable: error while loading shared libraries: libphysfs.so.1: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory

% emerge -v physfs # solves this dependency

WINE works great, too. WINE version played faster than the ELF version.

Thanks for having a BZIP2 archive. XZ is also great. I didn't wanna have to dust off my floppy disks from 1989 looking for a copy of PKZIP.EXE to open up ZIP "archives" :P
Ian
4 posts
My bad, I didn't disable libphysfs for my release script.

Thanks for taking the time to play it!