Handmade Network»Forums
20 posts
Directx over OpenGL on Windows
Hello, im sorry if this is a duplicate thread or not, I searched by this name and found nothing. Since a few weeks ago after deep learning pure OpenGL on Windows, i often read some topics on a lot of forums about DirectX being better than OpenGL. But, everytime I ask or everytime I look at those answers, the answers are always very superficial (at least for me). I mean, I see none difference between the two API's, actually just a few benchmarks on a few videos and OpenGL Renderer is always 6 to 15 frames lower than Directx Renderer. What I really wanna know is: Is there ANY technical proof that Directx runs better on Windows than OpenGL? By "technical" I mean any code, sample, draw stress, project, etc, a proof that shows where Directx runs better and have better performance, and driver support, than OpenGL on Windows?

Thanks for your time
Mārtiņš Možeiko
2559 posts / 2 projects
Edited by Mārtiņš Možeiko on
No one of those are better than other one. Each of them are better in one or other way than other. Some things are easier/better done in D3D, but some things in GL.

The usual reason why D3D is better is because it has better integration into Windows. MS is helping vendors here a lot. GL on the other hand is up to GPU vendors to make it as good as possible. And because MS makes D3D, its in their interest to make D3D run as fast as possible. That said, unless you are making most high-end game with AAA++++ quality of rendering (whatever it means), you won't see any differences from using D3D or GL.
20 posts
Thank you!