Handmade Network»Forums
2 posts
Recommended learning resources for CS
Hello everybody!

So I've been trying to improve my knowledge and skills in mathematics and whilst looking for more useful resources I recently came across this:
https://www.quantstart.com/articl...hout-Heading-to-University-Part-1

I'm not sure how far I'm going to take it, but it's quite nice to have such a handy guide available.

Now, I'm a completely self-taught programmer, and whilst I've familiarised myself with a lot of common data structures, algorithms and other CS topics, I would like to improve my knowledge further. So to the knowledgeable people here: what books and other resources would you recommend?

Maybe the Handmade community could assemble a similar guide as the one on the above website?
Abner Coimbre
320 posts
Founder
Edited by Abner Coimbre on Reason: Typos!
Welcome to the network!

We are working on a wiki for this website, where we can start creating resources such as this one curated by the community. We've set the target of finishing up the system by the end of the year, which afaict it is likely we'll meet it!

For now, though, you really can't go wrong with Computer Systems: A Programmer's Perspective, which I recommended earlier this year. Any textbook on discrete mathematics will likely supplement your learning as well (such as Discrete Mathematics by Kenneth Rosen, or Concrete Mathematics by Donald Knuth); or simply search the topics related to discrete maths and pick some that interest you -- and look for videos and articles related to them. Handmade Hero has a good one when it comes to the mathematics used in game dev.
2 posts
Yeah, I read your article on observer.com a while ago and decided to get the book :)

I will now look into the Rosen and Knuth books.

Thanks for the recommendations and keep up the good work!