Hey everyone! Historically, I haven't been much of a forum user -- but I've been relatively active on the Discord for the past few months. If we have met: Hello, if we haven't: Nice to meet you!.
I just thought I'd let everyone know about something which I'm going to start doing as of this coming Friday (ie. 1st of September): I'm going to start making "one thing a month" (maybe you're familiar with https://onegameamonth.com
?), and I figured that it could be a good idea to share this idea with other people in the Handmade Network to see if we could get a little community going.
I'm someone who has historically struggled with finishing projects (I love over scoping), so I'm doing this challenge because I want to become someone who DOES finish things. If you're in a similar boat, or maybe just looking for a reason to work on a project, or make a team, then maybe you'd like to do this too.
I bounced the idea off of Ryan in the Discord briefly the other day, and it sounds like if there is interest in this sort of thing it could become an officially sanctioned activity -- or maybe at the least get its own channel/forum on the server.
Here are the "rules" which I have in mind (tentatively), if other people would like to join me:
- We would start this coming September
- You may form teams if that's what you're in to
- You can build anything, although it'd probably make sense for it to be software related (tools or games are probably the most standard candidates)
- You have a month to work on your project: scope can be however big you want it to be (though I would advise starting with something as small as possible...)
- Your work _should_ embody the Handmade philosophy to some extent, but this is up to interpretation
- You can dedicate as much or as little time as you would like. (I'm planning on dedicating 1 full weekend a month + 2 weeks of part-time work as a minimum, but this is totally up to you)
If we do get a group of us doing this, I think it would be good to have some way of collecting weekly progress updates on how everyone is doing -- to help with motivation.
If anyone is at all interested, sound off in a reply to let me know.