Handmade Network»Forums
Jason
235 posts
Would a 2d game project be enough to get noticed?
Edited by Jason on Reason: Initial post
I'm currently programming a 2d fighting game from scratch. Why a fighting game? Well, let's just say it's what I'm most motivated to program at the moment. While I would love to eventually be able to release my game and sell it, I know chances are pretty slim that it would be good enough to really earn me much money. However, I figure I could also use this project as a resume builder to help land me a potential job in the game industry. My question is would a self programmed 2d game still potentially show enough skill and experience to get hired at companies working with mainly 3d games? I only ask because I know a lot of companies out there work with 3d games and wasn't sure how much 2d game development knowledge would still turn on potential employers. I know no one can answer this precisely but just wanted to get a feel for what the market might be looking for. Figured I could always attempt to develop the game with 3d characters to at least show some experience working with 3d models and animations, if necessary.
Ryan Fleury
204 posts / 4 projects
Working at Epic Games Tools (RAD). Former Handmade Network lead. Maker of Hidden Grove.
I am not yet working as a full-time professional in the games industry, but I will be doing an internship for the engine team at a studio that does mostly, if not all, 3D projects. What I would say here is that it's probably usually important to be familiar with 3D games and what problems you need to solve when making one (3D math, to some degree physics, etc.), but the vast majority of my work has been on The Melodist, which is 2D. I would probably just recommend working on whatever you love, learning as much as possible, and always being open to diving deep into the depths of unfamiliar technical areas. Keep in mind that there are a lot of parts of an engine that don't have to do with the game being 2D or 3D.

You could always augment your project idea to experiment with 3D technology more (even while keeping the gameplay 2D) as well (which might make for an interesting style!), if you want to flesh out your 3D game engine programming skills.
Jason
235 posts
Edited by Jason on
I would probably just recommend working on whatever you love

Ya, I figured this out with other failed ventures. I think you really need that implicit motivation/passion for something in order to stick it out for the long hall and really create an exceptional product, whatever that might be.

You could always augment your project idea to experiment with 3D technology more (even while keeping the gameplay 2D) as well (which might make for an interesting style!), if you want to flesh out your 3D game engine programming skills.

Ya, I've already been searching for games which mix these different perspectives and how they look. There's definitely a lot of interesting ways you mix the two that I'll have to explore deeper if I decide it would be worth it to add in the complexity of 3d in some way.