We are currently in the process of converting the website to the new design. Some pages, like this one, are still broken. We appreciate your patience.
Handmade Network»Forums
40 posts
Running an external board game bot in my app
Edited by BernFeth on
Hey guys, I have been working on this client for a board game called Go (or Baduk, or Weiqi) and I decided it's finally time to get a bot in there to play against it. There is a fairly strong bot called pachi (https://pachi.or.cz/) which has a linux binary that worked for me which is great.

Apparently these bots use a protocol called GTP (Go Text Protocol) which I found information on it at http://www.lysator.liu.se/~gunnar/gtp/gtp2-spec-draft2/gtp2-spec.html

So my question is, how can I run the executable from my app so that I can issue commands to it and retrieve it's output?

Note: The client I'm working on is written in C. Pachi (the bot) is a binary which waits for commands and outputs a bunch of information after each command issued by the user input.
Mārtiņš Možeiko
2583 posts / 2 projects
Standard C does not have functions for this.
You need to look at platform specific API - something like posix_spawn on Linux or CreateProcess on Windows to redirect stdin/stdout of child process to something you can read. These function will create child process and provide stdin/stdout for regular read/write (on Linux) or ReadFile/WriteFile calls (on Windows).

Alexey
16 posts
I haven't heard of posix_spawn before (although a quick look at the man page makes me think it's what you need), but what I've always done is use fork to create a child process, then exec to switch to the desired command, and a combination of pipe and dup2 calls to redirect child process' stdin and stdout to the pipe. Then you just write and read to/from the pipe to communicate with the child.
40 posts
Thank you guys!

I will do some reading on those and see if I can implement it.