Register
handmade.network»Forums»Using unity for app development
Oliver Marsh
180 posts / 2 projects

A budding game developer and programmer

Using unity for app development
2 weeks, 1 day ago Edited by Oliver Marsh on Jan. 10, 2021, 9:39 p.m. Reason: Initial post
Hi everyone,

I’ve been making a mobile app for the last six months. It’s a yoga app that lets you create custom routines. I used unity and treated the app like a game but it’s very much an app with different screens that you scroll on like you might make in react or swift etc. My thinking was that unity has a good cross platform renderer & let’s you export to android & iOS easily, and at the end of the day it’s still just code running on the device.

But now I was thinking of advertising as freelance app developer. I think the app works well but not sure if I can rightly call myself a mobile developer because it’s not using swift or android studio? I was wondering people’s thoughts and whether you think it’s fine if the app works?

Thanks
23 posts
Using unity for app development
1 week ago Edited by BernFeth on Jan. 18, 2021, 12:19 p.m.
Hey, I'm curious about this since I have played around with both unity and android studio for a bit in the past.

Android studio is a pain (not that unity isn't either but still) so I would prefer to use unity as well even though that hurts my soul. The truth is that using android studio felt just as bad as using unity for me (it didn't feel like I was using something lower level at all). Anyway, one thing that I heard is that google and apple might complain about your app made on unity so that could be a problem. Have you tried to publish your app yet? Let us know how things go for you.

My personal view is that mobile is already a bad environment for programing so you can't really get things done cleanly like you can when programming for desktops in C. That being said, I think going for unity which has more features would be the more cost efficient way, as long as these features wont cause problems with google and apples stores.

Another thing that I remember when I was playing around with mobile dev is that in unity I couldn't find a way to do some very simple stuff like pushing notifications or making a new alarm, as I remember, for such things you would need plugins if available at all. That was a big no for unity in my very limited research. So I guess I would say look for that if it's possible to do all the things you need in unity.