I know its been a long time but I have an update!
I've been working on this on-and-off for the past few months and it seems to mostly work at least some of the time and I'm going to put the project on hold again for a bit so I figured I'd put it up here for people to look at.
You can download a windows build here
. The archive includes both the client and a server, neither of which have any dependencies or require files other than the executables.
I don't have a publicly-available server running all the time at the moment so you'd need to run one yourself but that's easy, you just run the executable and point the client to it. :)
I've also put the source code up in a public repository on github
in case anybody's interested.
Both the client and the server should run fine on either Windows or Linux (the download only includes the Windows binaries though because the compilation is significantly easier on Linux) but there seems to be a bit of an issue around PulseAudio not providing audio input data frequently enough on Linux.
Let me know what the outcome is if you try it (I'd hope that it at least sort-of-works)!