c[ode]clap»Forums
19 posts
Super user permissions are required to run without XIO error
Edited by SIMPalaxy on Reason: Initial post
If I try to run without su privileges (root) on Linux a window pops up, but is blank with a cli output saying:
XIO:  fatal IO error 2 (No such file or directory) on X Server ":0"
      after ### requests (### known processed) with 0 events remaining.

(The amount of requests varies but stays around 350.)

Is there a way to run the program without the need for those privileges? It seems that changing the file permissions using chmod doesn't do anything, and supposedly a call to the X server further down along the line requires root access to proceed.
spx
148 posts / 1 project
You shouldn't need root to run the debugger. So this could be a recent change in a certain distribution or maybe a XWayland problem; I don't think that I've tested codeclap under Wayland yet.

Can you tell which Linux distribution and version you are running?
Can you check that you are able to run other OpenGL applications without this error?
19 posts
I don't seem to have the same issue with other gl apps.

I'm running the latest version of ArchLinux with an X server. (Not XWayland or anything Wayland atm.)
spx
148 posts / 1 project
Wish this would've been easy to reproduce but unfortunately not yet.
I used the most recent ISO and did a standard gnome/gdm installation without anything else and so far no problems executing the latest download as newly created user.

It could help if you have a few seconds to answer the following questions:
* Is there any occurence of the string "XError:" in the terminal output? (this would indicate that at least the X error handler from codeclap is called at some point)
* What display manager/desktop environment/window manager do you use?
* Is there anything else before the first "XIO:" that looks helpful?
* Is this a setup using a single or multiple monitors?

Thanks in advance.
19 posts
Edited by SIMPalaxy on
1. That is the only output I get, the window stays open but only shows grey.
2. I use BSPWM
3. There is no output other than what I posted.
4. Single montior.

(And it seems like that error only occurs after closing the window with
bspc node k
which I misremembered, so there may be altogether no error output.
spx
148 posts / 1 project
The behavior you describe is the expected effect when for some reason the idbg_custom.so shared library can't be loaded. It can't be a dependency problem because everything required by that library is also required by the binary itself. And from your description that it works as root it rather sounds like a permissions problem.

So just to double check. Have you tried a cleanly extracted directory from the archive, without overwriting anything, from the very same user that executes the application?