handmade.network » Forums » Career Advice » Question: How can I stand a chance when applying for jobs in the programming industry?
gazto
Carlos Gabriel Hasbun Comandari
35 posts

|· noise ·|

#15601 Question: How can I stand a chance when applying for jobs in the programming industry?
2 months ago Edited by Carlos Gabriel Hasbun Comandari on June 21, 2018, 2:57 a.m.

Don't apply like the herd to Human Resources departments, but rather find out who the technical directors of the game companies you want go apply for are, search for their contact information and send them your résumé and cover letter. Also be willing to relocate to another country.

Another option is to start your own, small company, but in that case you would have to apply for loans or venture capital and be ready to take higher risks.

|· We were all born equal... except for all those things that set us apart. ·|
notnullnotvoid
Miles
2 posts / 1 project
#15651 Question: How can I stand a chance when applying for jobs in the programming industry?
1 month, 3 weeks ago

Sorry to hijack your thread, but I'm wondering about a few things. A lot of people have suggested looking for jobs in other fields, which makes sense, but that makes me wonder - what other fields are game programming skills relevant in? When I look around for non-game-dev jobs, all I see is web dev, web dev, web dev, and more web dev. It's either making websites/web-app frontends, or programming server software, or both. There's a huge mismatch between the skills those jobs want (web languages/frameworks, network programming, database management, distributed programming, etc.) and the skills I actually have (low-level programming, optimization, graphics programming, etc.).

It's also extremely rare for me to find non-game-dev jobs that don't list a bachelor's degree as a hard requirement. I get the impression that I have no choice but to take on a mountain of student debt while spending years learning an entirely new technology stack I'm not interested in, just so I can work in a field I don't feel good about.

Is there an alternative? Somewhere I should be looking for work that I'm not already?
gazto
Carlos Gabriel Hasbun Comandari
35 posts

|· noise ·|

#15923 Question: How can I stand a chance when applying for jobs in the programming industry?
2 weeks ago

That's exactly what not to do. Focusing on a field will ensure a job, not learning the latest, "greatest" framework. You probably shouldn't work with a company that demands technical knowledge of the latest frameworks without any rationale behind it.

|· We were all born equal... except for all those things that set us apart. ·|
mmozeiko
Mārtiņš Možeiko
1738 posts / 1 project
#15927 Question: How can I stand a chance when applying for jobs in the programming industry?
2 weeks ago

what other fields are game programming skills relevant in?
From my experience your low level, debugging, optimization, etc skills will be appreciated in embedded development - various microcontrollers, firmware, & similar. Also in computer security related jobs - but beware there is a lot of snake oil jobs in this area. Anyways - in both areas I mentioned there is a lack of experienced developers.

More closer to game development, at least for graphics part, are simulators. Nowadays a lot of companies are doing various unity, unreal engine or custom engine based simulators for autonomous driving. Shameless plug - the team I'm working in is hiring in CA: Unity based simulator, and engineer for robotics / AD.

It's also extremely rare for me to find non-game-dev jobs that don't list a bachelor's degree as a hard requirement.
I ignore this requirement in job requirements or candidates. Most of the times this requirement comes from HR that just takes some template from to make job ad. I am interviewing a lot of candidates for positions either in my team, or in other teams - and I do not care what is their education. All that matters is what they like about their job, what they can do, how they are solving problems, stuff like that.