Handmade Network»Forums
Scott Hunt
41 posts
Father, Thinker, Mechanical Engineer @NASA, and C/C++ Hobby Enthusiast / @TexxStudio
Ergonomic Desk And Chair Advice
Edited by Scott Hunt on
Now that I'm spending a bit more time every week programming at home and starting to feel a bit of soreness from a bad desk / chair combination, I was hoping to reach out to the community here for some ideas on desks and chairs that seem to work well.

Current situation: Chair sits way too low below desk with poor arm-rests that don't support my arms, causing all the typing to be done with my forearms angled up. This could be fixed by just buying a new professional chair that sits up higher, but I'm also disliking my desk more and more as the space to support triple monitors is poor and I can't center between the monitors in the work space.

With that in mind, any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. I'd like to keep both the desk and chair around $1k without sacrificing quality if possible (open to higher value suggestions if folks feel strongly about a particular combination). There is so many options online, it's hard to really understand what will work best and the products available locally at OfficeMax, BestBuy, etc. is extremely poor.

Regarding chairs I'm thinking something alone the line of a classic Aeron, but hopefully a bit cheaper version to fit under the budget when adding a desk. If specific desk / chairs are too hard to recommend individually, any tips on reputable online dealers with good quality products would be appreciated as well.

Thanks in advance for any advice / tips / help.
Neo Ar
165 posts / 1 project
riscy.tv host
I use an uplift desk, and a maxnomic chair. They are expensive options but I'm very happy with them. The office chair maxnomic offers is perfect for me as I'm 6'4.5" and ~250 lbs. Supports my weight, back, and is very comfortable. The desk works great for both standing or sitting although I can't really use it for standing right now as I need some longer cables heh. My only complaint about my current setup is my cheapo keyboard that I picked up from walmart or something a few years back. I think a split keyboard would be a lot better ergonomically so I'm going to try a UHK when it is out.

Scott Hunt
41 posts
Father, Thinker, Mechanical Engineer @NASA, and C/C++ Hobby Enthusiast / @TexxStudio
miotatsu
I use an uplift desk, and a maxnomic chair. They are expensive options but I'm very happy with them. The office chair maxnomic offers is perfect for me as I'm 6'4.5" and ~250 lbs. Supports my weight, back, and is very comfortable. The desk works great for both standing or sitting although I can't really use it for standing right now as I need some longer cables heh. My only complaint about my current setup is my cheapo keyboard that I picked up from walmart or something a few years back. I think a split keyboard would be a lot better ergonomically so I'm going to try a UHK when it is out.

Miotatsu, thanks for the reply and photo. I was looking at Varidesk 60" this afternoon online, but I'll check out Uplift. That UHK looks amazing, will keep that in mind, especially with the trackball module you can add right at your thumb natural position.
Scott Hunt
41 posts
Uplift is working a quote for me now for a 72" straight desk with a Steelcase Gesture chair. Sitting in a Steelcase Leap at work, I've always liked their quality, and fortunately Uplift provides some discounts on the chairs if you don't mind their full black bulk buys ;)

Thanks again for the tip of this company and recommendation on quality.
Neo Ar
165 posts / 1 project
riscy.tv host
Nice! Glad I was able to help :)