Handmade Network»Forums
Jason
235 posts
People's experience with LLVM on Windows
Edited by Jason on Reason: Initial post
Hey All! I just wanted to see if anyone here has tried using the LLVM/clang toolchain on Windows for any considerable amount of time? I've been dabbling with it for a little bit on Windows and it seems okay so far. What I'm really wondering is what the debugging is like, given they only recently (as of late last year I believe?) started supporting the PDB file format for debug info. Is it comparable to MSVC? Would it be feasible to switch over to using it for some of my bigger projects?
Simon Anciaux
1337 posts
I wanted to point to this page, but I don't know if it's up to date.
I only have a small experience with clang on windows (see this post) but it seem to work fine on a 20k lines project. A problem is that it compiles slower than CL on my machine. I haven't encounter any problem while debugging, but haven't done a lot of that using clang.
Jason
235 posts
Thank you for sharing. Doesn't look like many have tried it too extensively yet.
Mārtiņš Možeiko
2559 posts / 2 projects
Edited by Mārtiņš Možeiko on
Chrome on Windows since v64 is built with clang: http://blog.llvm.org/2018/03/clan...now-used-to-build-chrome-for.html
I would say it is tried pretty extensively :)

Debug information should work fine with MSVC debugger. Except some more advanced features like Edit & Continue.
Jason
235 posts
Okay awesome! That's good to hear. I would really like to switch to it and might just take the plunge and see how things go.