We are currently in the process of converting the website to the new design. Some pages, like this one, are still broken. We appreciate your patience.
Handmade Network»Forums
Jason
235 posts
Programming tools still in need?
Edited by Jason on Reason: Initial post
There seems to be a lot of new programming projects underway to help fulfill some major wants/needs of programmers everywhere - jai (new low level language), C[ode]Clap/RemedyBG (debuggers), 4coder/Edimcoder (editors). While this is obviously exciting I was wondering if the handmade community could still identify some void in programming tools that still needed to be filled. I ask because I want to start my own programming project and I'm interesting in developing a useful programming tool. I was thinking of a something akin to RAD's telemetry/profiling tool since I know their tool is pretty expensive and I haven't really found anything similar to that on a more affordable price scale for the average user. Any suggestions or thoughts are appreciated.
513 posts
a linker that can output debug info and isn't single threaded
Mārtiņš Možeiko
2583 posts / 2 projects
Edited by Mārtiņš Možeiko on
lld?
Multithreaded comparison vs gold/bfd: https://youtu.be/yTtWohFzS6s?t=452
Multithreaded comparison vs single thread: https://youtu.be/yTtWohFzS6s?t=1202
Miles
131 posts / 4 projects
I don't know of a general-purpose build system for C/C++ that isn't a big painful mess, and I hear people complaining all the time about tools like cmake. It feels to me like there's probably a good amount of room for innovation in terms of how to do configurable build tools - maybe you could try making one that can be configured via a C API, similar to how 4coder does customization?
Simon Anciaux
1363 posts
I don't know if it's good but there is Orbit Profiler. Or mmozeiko's CxxProfiler.

An ARM disasember might be an interesting project.