Handmade Network»Forums
75 posts
None
What is your opinion of Vlang?
Edited by Mór on Reason: Initial post
I just found out about this new language called V. It appears to have a lot of desirable features. So I was wondering what the HMH crew think of it. How does it compare to Jai?

ps://vlang.io/

https://github.com/vlang/v
Chen
102 posts / 2 projects
Some guy trying to make some video game.
scam
Ryan Fleury
204 posts / 4 projects
Working at Epic Games Tools (RAD). Former Handmade Network lead. Maker of Hidden Grove.
Its creator has made claims that are flatly untrue and misleading, which makes the fact that it is being crowdfunded that much worse. If it has not been made maliciously, it has been made ignorantly, and has been amazingly exaggerated; the latter is the most generous interpretation I can give it. The creator has deleted criticism and has not been honest about the state of the project, either due to being inexperienced, or having malicious intent.

It is not worth your time nor money.

I'd recommend reading this GitHub issue.
V
1 posts
Hi

Developer of V here.

Can you please explain how V is a scam or which claims are untrue or misleading?

The post you referenced is untrue and misleading.

It claims that V doesn't do over 90% of what's advertised and that it's impossible to write anything more complex than Fibonacci. While in fact V itself is written 100% in V: github.com/vlang/v and so is the Vid editor: github.com/vlang/vid (which, according to the author of this post, can not be done).

Then there are ridiculous claims like json decoding not being possible without AST.

V is built in V and compiles itself in under 1 second. I think it's pretty impressive for a language that has just been open sourced.

Here's part of DOOM translated from C to V:

https://github.com/vlang/doom/blob/master/p_enemy.v

All claims on the home page are true, features that are still WIP are marked so.
Ryan Fleury
204 posts / 4 projects
Working at Epic Games Tools (RAD). Former Handmade Network lead. Maker of Hidden Grove.
Hello,

In my eyes, it does not appear that the continuation of this thread would be productive. Both sides have been presented, I think we've both said what we need to, and I urge readers to read into them for themselves. That being said, this thread is being locked to avoid future unproductive arguments (especially where there has already been a very similar debate linked).

Despite my criticism, which I stand by, I wish V and its developers well; I think there is a lot of work to be done in the space of programming language development and it would be nice to see new languages flourish and push the envelope.

Best wishes,
Ryan
← Back to index Thread is locked.