Register
handmade.network»Forums»Finding a lightweight but powerful code editor for Linux
35 posts / 1 project
Finding a lightweight but powerful code editor for Linux
1 week, 2 days ago Edited by Dawoodoz on July 29, 2020, 8:42 a.m.
It seems like all code editors available for Linux are either quirky command line tools where you cannot copy using Ctrl-C (because that would kill the program), or a bloated web application dynamically transpiling into JavaScript only so that it can sand-box itself inside of a full copy of a web browser taking up hundreds of megabytes and leaving old versions of the browser behind when it updates.

Just need a stable light-weight editor with multi-document tabs, syntax coloring, file browser on the side and recursive folder search and replace.
44 posts
1 week, 2 days ago
I mainly use vim but occasionally use kate as a backup from time to time. It has most of the features you are asking for. If you happen to be running KDE the dependencies will be minimal.

Here is a small project worth keeping an eye on https://github.com/rxi/lite and additional plugins for it https://github.com/rxi/lite-plugins. Not sure if it has recursive search or not.
Igor Morgado
3 posts
1 week, 2 days ago Edited by Igor Morgado on July 29, 2020, 10:24 a.m.
Dawoodoz
It seems like all code editors available for Linux are either quirky command line tools where you cannot copy using Ctrl-C (because that would kill the program), or a bloated web application dynamically transpiling into JavaScript only so that it can sand-box itself inside of a full copy of a web browser taking up hundreds of megabytes and leaving old versions of the browser behind when it updates.

Just need a stable light-weight editor with multi-document tabs, syntax coloring, file browser on the side and recursive folder search and replace.

vim fits all that criteria. Even Ctrl-C if you feel that is the only right way to do it.

inoremap <C-v> <ESC>"+pa
vnoremap <C-c> "+y
vnoremap <C-x> "+d
35 posts / 1 project
1 week, 2 days ago
igormorgado
Dawoodoz

vim fits all that criteria. Even Ctrl-C if you feel that is the only right way to do it.

inoremap <C-v> <ESC>"+pa
vnoremap <C-c> "+y
vnoremap <C-x> "+d

I should try it then.
Mārtiņš Možeiko
2106 posts / 1 project
1 week, 2 days ago
There's also Sublime Text, Geany and CodeLite that fit these requirements.
35 posts / 1 project
1 week, 2 days ago
mmozeiko

I'll try CodeLite next then.
Igor Morgado
3 posts
1 week, 1 day ago
Dawoodoz
mmozeiko

I'll try CodeLite next then.

BTW, vim isn't a editor to "try" you pick it and use it for life. Isn't it easy to start, since it's too different of actual paradigm of "code editors".

But, IMHO is worth it.

There is also emacs...
52 posts
1 week, 1 day ago
I came here to also recommend rxi's lite, it's the cleanest and most user friendly text editor I found in a while.
Miles
70 posts / 2 projects
1 week, 1 day ago
igormorgado
BTW, vim isn't a editor to "try" you pick it and use it for life. Isn't it easy to start, since it's too different of actual paradigm of "code editors".

In other words, vim is a cult for people who succumb easily to the sunk cost fallacy.
35 posts / 1 project
1 week, 1 day ago
Guntha
I came here to also recommend rxi's lite, it's the cleanest and most user friendly text editor I found in a while.

The interface does look neat and Lua scripting sounds like a good middle ground between resource effective and flexible.