Handmade Network»Forums»Site Feedback
Simon Anciaux
1337 posts
New theme feedback
Edited by Simon Anciaux on
- Could we have more than 700 pixels for displaying pages (1024px - all the margin - the big avatars). That's about 36% of a 1080p screen. Wiki articles are smaller (512 pixels wide). It's particularly annoying when looking at code samples and needing to use horizontal scrollbars all the time.

- The search isn't there anymore.

- Several avatars seem to be missing.
Ben Visness
109 posts / 9 projects
HMN lead.
New theme feedback
I'm definitely going to make the site wider. I find this width very comfortable for reading the forums, but it's clear that many other aspects of the site need more room to breathe.

Thanks for reminding me about the search; I'll get that reinstated.

Could you give me examples of some of the avatars that have gone missing?
511 posts
New theme feedback
Edited by ratchetfreak on
[email protected]

Could you give me examples of some of the avatars that have gone missing?

<--The default avatar

Also the left bar in the topic view is too wide with too large avatars. No need to have them that massive.
Ben Visness
109 posts / 9 projects
HMN lead.
New theme feedback
Ok, the site is wider, the default avatar should be back, and avatars should be smaller again in forum posts. Search will take a little more work because there's no good place to put it on mobile, but I'll be working on that soon.

Mim on Discord also reported that there were spacing issues with the annotations on the video player. That should now be fixed as well.

Thanks for the feedback and let me know if you run into anything else.
Simon Anciaux
1337 posts
New theme feedback
Edited by Simon Anciaux on
Thanks for the modifications.

Avatars still are too big in my opinion (I didn't feel like they are smaller than last time). It wastes vertical space and horizontal space. For example your first reply takes twice the vertical space it needs because of the "information" in the avatar column (and as I'm talking about it, I feel that the short bio and forum signature should not be display in forums but in profile page since it's not useful information and wastes space. But I know I'm alone on that one). A single line reply would waste a lot of space. I feel like the avatars could be half the current size as they don't need to be that big to convey the information they represent. And since it would also free some horizontal space we could have wider content ^^.

The post preview when typing a reply is to close "The post you're replying to:" and it would be nice if it would actually have the same size and presentation that in the actual forum.

When typing a reply, the first and second post below "The post you're replying to:" have the same background color instead of the alternating one (at least on the dark theme).
Ben Visness
109 posts / 9 projects
HMN lead.
New theme feedback
Thanks for bringing those issues up. I haven't gone through and made the reply page responsive yet, but I'll make sure to address all those things when I do.

You may also see avatars get a tad smaller soon as well. However, at the moment we're not trying to redesign the site so much as tidy it up and make it more flexible. We might start exploring some bigger design changes in the future once the overall structure of the site is more sound.
Simon Anciaux
1337 posts
New theme feedback
The project page now displays 2 projects per line but used to display 3. If possible it would be nice to have all projects on a single page so we could at least use the browser search function to find a project.
Ben Visness
109 posts / 9 projects
HMN lead.
New theme feedback
Search is back now on desktop, mobile to follow later. I'm aware of the layout issues on the projects page and I'll be cleaning those up after I finish formatting blog posts for mobile.
Abner Coimbre
320 posts
Founder
New theme feedback
Edited by Abner Coimbre on Reason: Initial post.
[email protected]
Search is back now on desktop, mobile to follow later.

Thanks! Appreciate the new mobile look since I use that often; I'm enjoying these updates overall.