I'll be using the jam to prototype a new immediate mode GUI specifically for a modal text editor I am working on. I know these two things are very much a HMN meme at this point but yes :D
In the past I have made a general purpose IMGUI library that I have used in a few game prototypes. This time I want to experiment with writing something that is more tailored to the needs of the application.
Here is a list of ideas to try out for the jam and see how good they are:
- Keep the screen redraw down to a minimum, have the IMGUI system easily keep track on what widgets have been updated.
- example, if the text cursor would move, in the simplest case only the area of where two glyphs occupy would be redrawn.
- I want the editor to fully operated by the keyboard so a very slim set of widget types is needed.
- Box (border, background, container)
- Text (i just have a feeling we will need this)
- TextBox (single line text edit for search etc)
- ListView (results of a search)
- Dialog (put the search box all up in your face)
- This application should be perfect for the dead simple layout that folks have been trying out in the community lately. My other UI library layout code is a super complicated recursive nigthmare thing but is full of great features.
- Input handing logic would be keyboard only, no mouse.
I'll be streaming my developments live on my Twitch Channel Tuesday, Friday, Sundays. Check the schedule if you are interested in the times :)
I am really looking forward to seeing what everybody makes!